S ince the President Obama took office, he has fought for policies that are important for women and will expand opportunity for all Americans day. He is signed major legislation like the low-cost Care Act, the reauthorization associated with the Violence Against Women Act, additionally the LiвЂЋlly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act вЂ” the very first legislation he finalized into legislation. He is significantly expanded pay that is fair paid keep protections. Along with his management has methodically motivated towns and states to embrace policies like greater minimum wage and paid leave.
Underpinning these actions, the President has talked away and driven a conversationвЂЋ about treating females fairly in the usa and all over the world. He’s got pressed for social change that provides females the respect they deserve in schools as well as in workplaces, and joined up with advocates in considerably changing our nation’s way of assault that is sexual campuses and somewhere else. That discussion has spurred alterations in urban centers and states, companies big and little, schools from very early training to higher training.
The White home Council on Women and Girls (CWG), that the President created in March of 2009, has played a working part in taking care of these problems. The CWG is composed of representatives from each Federal agency, in addition to each White House workplace, and coordinates efforts across Federal agencies and divisions to ensure the requirements of ladies and girls are taken into consideration in all scheduled programs, policies, and legislation. Find out about the CWGвЂ™s work here.
Let me reveal a consider the progress that is made underneath the national government on problems that affect therefore women that are many girls around the world.
Expanding Economic Opportunity
President Barack Obama signs into law the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act when you look at the East area associated with the White home. 29, 2009 january. (Certified White Home Picture by Joyce Boghosian)
Have the complete record: down load PDF
Battling for equal pay
- Finalized the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which empowers ladies to recoup wages lost to discrimination by simply making it simpler to bring pay discrimination claims
- Prohibited federal contractors from retaliating against workers whom decide to talk about their settlement
- Developed the nationwide Equal Pay Task Force to crack straight down on violations of equal pay laws and regulations
- Worked with all the Department of work therefore the Equal Employment chance Commission to announce a proposal that is new companies with 100 or maybe more workers to submit summary pay data by sex, battle, and ethnicity, helping concentrate general public enforcement of current regulations
- Over and over over and over called on Congress to pass the Paycheck Fairness Act
Promoting wider financial involvement through contemporary workplace methods and opportunity that is educational
- Led the way on compensated unwell and household leave, including signing an order that is executive federal contractors to give as much as 7 compensated ill times every year to workers taking care of federal agreements, and contacting Congress to pass through legislation supplying the exact same paid leave to many Us americans. Since 2014, four states have actually passed compensated ill and household leave regulations, including Vermont, and recently, nyc passed a compensated family members leave legislation and Ca expanded its paid household leave system. Since 2014, 24 urban centers and counties took action on compensated ill leave and 21 metropolitan areas and counties have taken action on paid family members leave.
- Called on Congress to pass through the Healthy Families Act which may enable millions of working People in america to make as much as 7 days each year of paid time that is sick
- Necessary federal contractors to increase their minimal wage and also to raise the tipped minimum wage (which disproportionately impacts females), and led a nationwide push for an elevated minimum wage, supporting minimal wage increases in 18 states as well as the District of Columbia also 29 metropolitan areas and counties
- Extended wage that is minimum overtime defenses underneath the Fair work guidelines Act to house healthcare employees
- Expanded overtime defenses to as much as 4.2 million workers вЂ“ more than 1 / 2 of whom are ladies
- Prohibited contractors that are federal discriminating in work on such basis as sexual orientation or sex identification
- Spent $2 billion to considerably expand partnerships between companies and community universities to get ready pupils for in-demand jobs in areas like medical care, information energy and technology
- Worked to grow participation in STEM industries by motivating mentoring to guide ladies throughout their educational and expert experiences and supporting efforts to retain ladies in the STEM workforce
Stopping the period of poverty
- Cut unemployment by over fifty percent to 4.7 % during accurate documentation streak of personal sector task creation, and paid down child poverty further within the last couple of years than it was low in some other two-year-period since 2001
- Enhanced the Earned Income Tax Credit as well as the Child Tax Credit which can be assisting 16 million working familiesвЂ™ make ends fulfill
- Worked using the sector that is private tackle the diaper space while increasing usage of affordable diapers to assist the almost 1 in 3 US families who find it difficult to pay for sufficient diapers for his or her children
- Worked to bolster high-poverty communities through better federal partnership with neighborhood leaders set up just like the 22 metropolitan, rural, and tribal communities which were designated as Promise Zones since 2014
- Battled homelessness through the Opening Doors plan which, up to now, has triggered significant declines in veteran, chronic, and household homelessness
- Caused a coalition of womenвЂ™s foundationsвЂ”Prosperity TogetherвЂ”who have actually collectively committed $100 million up to a funding that is 5-year to boost financial success for low-income females, especially females and girls of color
- Engaged data that are open technology to empower ladies and girls and expand ladders to possibility through the ability venture, a platform for making use of Federal and regional information and electronic tools to greatly help individuals navigate informative data on resources they must flourish
Combat against individual trafficking
- Through the Department of Labor, the Department of Justice, additionally the Department of State, played a crucial role in fighting individual trafficking through the civil enforcement of federal labor guidelines, research and financing for grants offshore, and employment and training expertise